You can easily sanitize your pots by swirling them or dipping them in a disinfectant solution. I use a 1:10 ratio of bleach to water solution.
How To Disinfect Old Planters
- dishwashing gloves or rubber gloves
- shallow tub
- sponge or small plastic bristle brush
- dishwashing soap
- Protection. Put on your gloves.
- Scrub pots. Scrub away dirt and crusted debris with a little soap, water and sponge or plastic bristle brush. Empty out your tub.
- Make Disinfectant Solution. Pour 9 parts water into a shallow tub, and then mix in 1 part bleach into the water.
- Disinfect Planters. Sanitize your planters by swirling the planters in the disinfectant solution. You can also use your sponge to get hard-to-reach areas.
- Rinse and Dry. Rinse your pots with clean water and allow them to dry. Now you are ready to plant your new seeds!