|Photo 1: DIY Glittery Red Pumps|
Transform an old pair of heels into glittery heels for $6 in one day!
|Photo 2: Chew marks on heel.|
|Photo 3: Old Pumps|
I am glad I never got around to throwing away one of my favorite pumps that my dog decided to use as a chew toy. I wanted candy red glittery shoes to match my Halloween costume this year, and I didn't find the ones in the store all that comfortable.
Not only are these shoes comfortable, but they look just as great as the ones I have seen in the store and cost a fraction of the price to make. The key is too use extra fine glitter to give it a higher-end look. Then using an acrylic red glitter glaze to seal in the glitter so that the glitter stays on your shoe.
- Sandpaper (optional)
- Shallow tray (optional)
- Old pair of high heels
- Old newspaper
- 2 oz bottle of Glamour Dust (Ultra Fine Glitter Paint in "Sizzling Red") by Decor Art
- 2 oz jar of Ruby Extra Fine Glitter by Art Minds
- 1" wide paint brush
- Optional: I omitted this step but if you have shiny, smooth shoes, I would recommend taking a piece of sand paper and slightly scuffing up the surface so that the paint and glitter has a better surface to adhere to.
- Lay out newspaper over your work area or work over a tray.
- Clean your shoes, and allow it to dry completely. Then stuff crumpled newspaper or tissue in the pumps. See Photo 4.
- Glitter-fying Your Heels. Do the following two steps in sections to minimize messiness. I divided the each shoe into three sections: right half of the pump, left half of the pump, and then heel.
- Apply a thin layer of paint on the first section of each shoe.
- Generously sprinkle fine glitter over the paint. Then tap the side of the shoe so that the excess sprinkles fall off. See Photo 6.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 until shoes are covered with a layer of glitter. Then I did the process again so that there were ultimately two coats of glitter/paint on the shoes.
- Allow shoes to dry for about an hour. Rinse your brush and allow it to air dry.
- Seal in the Glitter. Use the paint to seal in the glitter on your shoe. I squeezed paint on to the shoe and then used the brush in a gentle tapping motion until the surface was covered with a thin layer of paint. I worked in sections again to reduce messiness. See Photo 7.
- Allow shoes to cure for 24 hours before wearing them.
|Photo 4: Newspaper stuffed into pumps|
|Photo 5: Paint drizzled on to pump.|
|Photo 6: Glitter sprinkled on shoe|
|Photo 7: Paint to seal in glitter. Appears red when applying, but dries clear.|
|Photo 8: Finished product|