- Aquarium gravel
- Iris rhizome or bulb*
- Fill up the vase half way with gravel.
- Perch iris rhizome or bulbs on top of the gravel.
- Pour water into the vase so that the water level falls just under the gravel. The iris rhizome or bulb should not be in standing water (unless it is the type of iris that can be submerged in water).
- Place moss on top of and around iris. The moss will absorb the water and keep the iris bulb or rhizome moist but not soggy.
- Place the vase in a sunny location, and enjoy!
*The rhizome I had already had roots and a leafy top. I filled the vase 1/3 the way, placed the rhizome on top of the gravel and then poured gravel around the roots until the rhizome rested on the gravel.