craigslistCraigslist.org can be a good source for free garden soil, plants and other free stuff. To see what is free in your area visit their website and select your location. Look under the "for sale" category, and select "free."
Important: Practice caution and use your common sense when posting or responding to these ads. Below are some safety tips to consider:
- Tell a friend or family member where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Bring a friend or family member with you.
- Bring a cell phone with you if you have one.
- Request that the free stuff be placed outside the home for pick-up if possible.
- Trust your instincts. If your gut is telling you something is wrong, then leave immediately.
- If you are posting an ad to give away free stuff, place the items in front of your house to avoid having strangers in your home.
- When posting an ad for free stuff, keep in mind you are posting an ad for the world to see so be careful of what information you put out there. I do not post my address, full name or phone number. I only list my city and a nearby cross street. I also use the anonymous email option provided by Craiglist. I then ask people to email me with their name and contact information. This allows me to screen emails and I can narrow the number of people I give my address and phone number to. After I have found a person to pick up the stuff, I delete the ad.