Garden Vegetable Pizza
Makes 1 pizza
- Pizza Dough (recipe follows)
- Garden Vegetables and Herbs on Hand (e.g., bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, garlic cloves, parsley)
- Olive oil (for sauteing)
- 3/4 c. Pizza Sauce or Red Pasta Sauce
- 8 oz. Shredded Cheese Blend of your choice
- Mozzarella (optional)
- Set rack to lowest position and heat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Divide dough in half on lightly floured counter. Place one half of dough under plastic wrap, and work the other half of dough into 8-inch disc. Then continue to work and stretch the dough (flipping dough occasionally) until dough is 12 to 14 inches in diameter.
- Place dough on pizza stone or overturned rimmed baking sheet. Place dough in preheated oven, and bake for 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice garden vegetables into 1/4-inch thick slices, and chop herbs. Heat oil in frying pan, and saute vegetables and herbs until vegetables are tender.
- Pour sauce on the center of the cooked dough and use back of large spoon to spread sauce evenly around the pizza, leaving about 1/2-inch border free of sauce.
- Add shredded cheese and bits of mozzarella. Spoon sauteed vegetables onto pizza.
- Return pizza to oven for 3 more minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Transfer pizza to cutting board. Slice and serve immediately. Repeat these steps for 2nd pizza or save the 2nd dough in refrigerator for tomorrow.
Pizza Dough Recipe
Makes dough for two 14-inch pizzas
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. wheat flour (and extra flour for shaping dough)
- 2 1/4 tsp instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 c. water, heated to 110 degrees
- Pulse 4 c. flour, yeast, and salt together in food processor (fitted with dough blade) until combined, about 5 pulses. With food processor running, slowly add oil, then water; Process until rough ball forms, 30 to 40 seconds. Let dough rest for 2 minutes and then process for 30 seconds longer.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and knead by hand into smooth round ball. Place dough in a large, lightly greased bowl. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap, ad let rise at room temperature until doubled in size (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours).